Commonwealth Government Policies
The Company’s objectives are set by its Shareholder Ministers in the Statement of Expectations (SOE) issued on 13 September 2017, as updated from time to time to reflect policy decisions, and supplemented by Policy Directions and correspondence. The current SOE for WSA outlines the Australian Government’s clear objective to deliver an operational airport that will provide greater equality in accessing air services for business and leisure, and to stimulate economic growth in Western Sydney.
The Commonwealth expects that the Company will operate in a commercial manner, and at arm’s length from Government. WSA has flexibility and discretion in its operation and commercial decisions within the parameters of applicable legislation, subordinate legislation and the Government’s policy objectives.
The Company is required to develop and operate Western Sydney International by the Commonwealth.
In delivering Western Sydney International, the Company’s objectives are:
- improving access to aviation services in Western Sydney by providing a broad range of passenger and freight services;
- resolving the long-term aviation capacity issue in the Sydney basin by maximising the aviation capacity of the site, noting the constraints at Sydney (Kingsford-Smith) Airport;
- maximising the value of Western Sydney International as a national asset including consideration of benefits the Airport will bring within and around Western Sydney, NSW and Australia;
- optimising the benefit of Western Sydney International for employment and investment in Western Sydney by recognising the Airport will be a major catalyst for growth and development in Western Sydney;
- effectively integrating with new and existing initiatives in the Western Sydney area by ensuring long-term planning considers the Airport’s economic, social and environmental impacts in Western Sydney; and
- operating on commercially-sound principles having regard to the Australian Government’s intention to preserve its options with respect to ownership and governance arrangements by applying private sector discipline in the management of WSA.