How we measure success
- Ensuring SBS delivers on Charter and Purpose
- Maintaining relevance on traditional broadcasting platforms
- Growing consumption on SBS digital platforms
- Managing the transition to a digital SBS audience base
- Improving the share of funding from commercial revenue
- Growing staff engagement and collaboration to maximise business outcomes
Details of SBS’s performance against its key performance indicators in 2019-20 are found in the Annual Performance Statement section of this report.
Our Four-Year Strategic Journey (2019-20 focus)
Under the five core areas that form the framework of the four-year Strategic Journey, SBS identified the following significant activities for 2019-20 to deliver on the organisation’s strategic goals and objectives.
SBS inspires all Australians to explore, respect and celebrate our diverse world and in doing so, contributes to a cohesive society.
1. Engaged Audiences
‘Deep audience engagement on all platforms’
- Developing the next iteration of our Digital Acceleration Plan, with dual focus on audience engagement and technical development
- Deliver on audience needs, through a broad and deep audience understanding that informs our activities, derived from data and analytics.
- Providing an excellent audience experience across all platforms to drive engagement and consumption
- Improving our capabilities in search and personalisation, and the distinctiveness of our services alongside our distinctive content
2. Distinctive Network
‘Showcasing Australia’s Diversity’
- Exploring, respecting and celebrating diversity in all its forms is central to our content activities, especially via culturally and linguistically diverse content to our TV, radio and digital audiences
- Engaging Australians through unparalleled and distinctive multicultural and Indigenous stories
- Having impact by raising awareness on key issues, challenging perceptions and creating the environment for meaningful discussion
- Maintaining and harnessing trust in SBS through a continued focus on appropriate editorial practices
3. Inspired Communities
'It’s all about our communities’
- Activating, supporting and extending our content with key community groups and audiences
- Partnering with our many communities to understand key issues and perspectives and help tell their important stories
- Identifying industry partnerships that improve the depth and breadth of SBS’s community impact and contribute to a cohesive society.
- Developing cornerstone activities that help to define SBS and our services with the wider Australian community
4. Great Business
- As we are small in our industry, this is about being smarter, faster and better – continuing to reduce our cost base and cycle times
- Best-in-class operational cost base, best-in-class operational processes, with globally unique deals
- Continuing to explore opportunities to redesign our operations within the broader industry, differentiating where it matters and partnering with others in their areas of strength
- Ensuring our operations maintain the trust of our audiences and stakeholders
5. Great People; Great Culture
‘I’m hearing great things about working at SBS’
- Our strong focus on our people and our culture is ‘how’ we are going to succeed and what will help us to deliver the other four strategic pillars
- Getting great people, giving them a great working environment and helping them to work together
- Evolving our already leading culture, with a focus on becoming a truly values-driven organisation
- Being a model employer in respect of a diverse and inclusive workplace