Appendix 6 – Ecologically sustainable development and environmental performance
Section 516A of the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth) requires that government organisations report annually on their environmental performance and contribution to ecologically sustainable development.
Safe Work Australia’s environmental policy outlines the agency’s commitment to minimising the environmental impact of its operations.
Safe Work Australia does this by:
- operating a paper, plastic, glass and cardboard recycling program
- effective use of electricity by using energy-efficient office machinery
- toner cartridge and waste toner recycling
- using energy-efficient computer monitors
- using low wattage lights throughout the Safe Work Australia office
- operating lighting via motion sensors to reduce energy consumption
- reducing paper usage by centralising printers and setting them to double-sided printing as a default, and
- using office paper that is carbon neutral, recycled and/or has an environmental sustainability rating.