In 2018, the theme for National Safe Work Month was ’a moment is all it takes’ which recognised that a safety incident could happen in a moment in any workplace. The campaign asked workers and employers to make it a habit to add safety moments to their day, every day.
The campaign included a variety of communication tactics including press and media promotion, social media promotion, a website, campaign kit and materials and a sponsorship competition.
The 2018 competition offered individuals and workplaces across Australia an opportunity to bid for funding of up to $20,000 for a WHS project. The winning entries then went into the running to win the Peoples’ Choice Award, which added another $5,000 to the possible funding.
Five entrants received funding as part of their winning entries:
- Nugroup Rail Solutions Pty Ltd—preventing rail industry welding fume injuries
- House with No Steps—customised WHS training for diverse groups
- Taronga Conservation Society Australia—hay bale lifter to reduce manual handling injuries.
- Coffey Services Australia Ltd—design of an ergonomic hand auger
- Arcadian Organic & Natural Meat Company Pty Ltd—using lighting to create highly visible safety barriers.
We received 315 total votes for the People’s Choice Award with Coffey Services Australia Ltd securing a further $5,000 for getting the most votes of the five finalists.
Coffey Services provide engineering, geotechnical, environmental, testing and project management services. Many workers at Coffey perform manual hand augering, which does pose a risk of injury due to turning, lifting and carrying the auger. Coffey will use their prize to investigate and identify design improvements for hand augers to reduce their risk of injury.