Go to top of page
Old Parliament House was established as a corporate Commonwealth entity under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability (Establishing Old Parliament House) Rule 2016, with the following functions:
- to conserve, develop and present the Old Parliament House building and collections
- to provide public programs and research activities related to Australia’s social and parliamentary history
- to provide a range of other services for visitors to Old Parliament House
- to undertake other relevant tasks as the Minister for the Arts may require from time to time
- to undertake such other functions as are conferred on Old Parliament House by the Rule or by any other law of the Commonwealth
- to do anything incidental to or conducive to the performance of any of the above functions.
The purpose of the Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House is to provide an enriched understanding and appreciation of Australia’s political legacy and the intrinsic value of our democracy.
As well as activities in the heritage building of Old Parliament House in Canberra, the museum conducts outreach activities around Australia and online.