OPC’s workplace design maximises environmental sustainability, with a strong focus on access to natural light. The elongated floor plate has core services, meeting, utility and storage rooms inbound, allowing all employee work spaces to be located within 12 metres of the perimeter windows. The fit-out has been designed to complement the building’s environmental objectives including applying best practice in the selection of materials. Practical inclusions in the design include recycling provisions, use of natural and recycled materials, and plants for air quality and visual amenity.
The following measures were in place throughout the year to minimise the effect of OPC’s activities on the environment:
· considering energy efficiency when acquiring equipment;
· encouraging staff to use double-sided printing and photocopying facilities that are available;
· publishing documents online to reduce the number of copies being printed;
· modifying work procedures to avoid paper use where practicable by, for example, editing documents on screen, using electronic forms of communication and filing documents in the electronic records management system;
· collecting toner cartridges, paper, glass, plastic and aluminium from the office for recycling;
· encouraging staff to turn off lights and office equipment when not in use; and
· using lighting controls throughout the office that have sensors and timers to automatically turn lights off if no activity is detected for a pre-programmed period of time.