OPC is headed by the First Parliamentary Counsel (FPC) and two Second Parliamentary Counsel.
For 2020-2021, Peter Quiggin PSM QC, First Parliamentary Counsel, was the accountable authority, until April 2021 when he retired. Acting First Parliamentary Counsel, Meredith Leigh, has been the accountable authority since April 2021. Keith Byles is Second Parliamentary Counsel, and Bronwyn Livermore is acting Second Parliamentary Counsel.
OPC has 3 groups: Drafting, Publications and Corporate Services.
In the Drafting group, drafting is carried out in teams consisting of drafters (who are all lawyers) supported by administrative staff. Some of the teams involve only 2 drafters (a senior drafter and an assistant drafter) but some involve more drafters working together in a variety of arrangements.
FPC, the Second Parliamentary Counsel, and all SES drafters are senior drafters. They each head a drafting team and report to FPC. The other drafters are called assistant drafters and are supervised by the senior drafter who heads their team.
OPC’s Publications group, headed by the General Manager Publishing, is responsible for:
- publishing policy, including preparation of sunsetting and bulk repeal lists and managing the Legislation Register Helpdesk;
- preparing compilations, operating the Legislation Register, and publishing and making arrangements for the printing of Commonwealth legislation Gazettes;
- proofreading and editorial checking of all draft legislation drafted in OPC;
- registering legislative and notifiable instruments; and
- the operation of the current Legislation Register website, and the development of the new Legislation Register website.
OPC’s Corporate Services group, headed by the General Manager Corporate Services, consists of:
- an Information Technology (IT) section that manages, maintains and supports OPC’s IT environment;
- a human resources section that provides human resources support;
- a finance section responsible for looking after OPC’s finances; and
- a business operations team responsible for providing administrative support, records management, and property and security services.