OPC is the Commonwealth’s principal provider of professional legislative drafting and publishing services. OPC delivers timely, high quality drafting and advisory services for Bills, legislative instruments and other instruments, prepares compilations of laws as amended, and publishes legislation and government notices on behalf of more than 70 agencies. OPC also provides comprehensive, free access to Commonwealth legislation and related material through the Legislation Register website.
OPC was established under the Parliamentary Counsel Act 1970. Its functions are set out in section 3 of that Act. They are:
· drafting proposed laws for introduction into either House of the Parliament;
· drafting amendments of proposed laws that are being considered by either House of the Parliament;
· drafting subordinate legislation;
· preparing compilations and reprints of, and information relating to, laws of the Commonwealth;
· publishing, and making arrangements for printing and publishing:
- laws, and proposed laws, of the Commonwealth;
- compilations and reprints of laws of the Commonwealth; and
- information relating to laws of the Commonwealth;
· preparing and publishing Government Notices Gazettes, including Special and Periodic Gazettes;
· functions conferred on OPC (or on First Parliamentary Counsel) under the Legislation Act 2003; and any other laws of the Commonwealth;
· with the written approval of the Minister—providing assistance to a foreign country in relation to the drafting, printing or publishing of laws of the country or information relating to those laws;
· functions conferred by the regulations; and
- functions incidental to any of the preceding functions.