OPC is headed by the First Parliamentary Counsel (FPC) and two Second Parliamentary Counsel.
For 2018-2019, Peter Quiggin, FPC, was the accountable authority.
OPC has 3 groups: Drafting, Publications and Corporate Services.
In the Drafting group, drafting is carried out in teams consisting of drafters (who are all lawyers) supported by administrative staff. Some of the teams involve only 2 drafters (a senior drafter and an assistant drafter) but some involve more drafters working together in a variety of arrangements.
FPC, the Second Parliamentary Counsel, and all SES drafters are senior drafters. They each head a drafting team and report to FPC. The other drafters are called assistant drafters and are supervised by the senior drafter who heads their team.
OPC’s Publications group, headed by the General Manager Publishing, is responsible for:
- publishing policy, including preparation of sunsetting and bulk repeal lists and managing the Legislation Register Helpdesk;
- preparing compilations, operating the Legislation Register, and publishing and making arrangements for the printing of Commonwealth legislation Gazettes;
- proofreading and editorial checking of all draft legislation drafted in OPC; and
- the development and operation of the Legislation Register website.
OPC’s Corporate Services group, headed by the General Manager Corporate, consists of:
- an Information Technology (IT) section that manages, maintains and supports OPC’s IT environment;
- staff providing human resources and financial services; and
- staff providing administrative support, records management, and property and security services.