Go to top of page
NOPSEMA’s principal functions are detailed under section 646 of the OPGGS Act, and are as follows:
- to promote the OHS of persons engaged in offshore petroleum operations or offshore greenhouse gas storage operations
- to develop and implement effective monitoring and enforcement strategies to ensure compliance under the OPGGS Act and regulations
- to investigate accidents, dangerous occurrences and circumstances relating to OHS, well integrity and environmental management
- to advise on matters relating to OHS, well integrity and environmental management
- to make reports, including recommendations, to the responsible Commonwealth minister and each responsible state and Northern Territory minister
- to cooperate with other Commonwealth, state and Northern Territory agencies or authorities having functions relating to regulated operations.