Go to top of page
Who We Are and What We Do
Who we are
The Administrator and the NHFB were established through the Council of Australian Governments’ (COAG) National Health Reform Agreement of August 2011.
The Administrator is independent of the Commonwealth, State and Territory governments. The functions of the Administrator are set out in the NHR Act and common provisions in relevant State and Territory legislation.
The NHFB is a Commonwealth non-corporate entity under the PGPA Act and was established to support the obligations and responsibilities of the Administrator.
What we do
To achieve our objectives, our primary functions are to assist the Administrator in:
- calculating and advising the Commonwealth Treasurer of the Commonwealth’s contribution to public hospital funding in each State and Territory
- reconciling estimated and actual hospital services, and adjusting Commonwealth payments
- undertaking funding integrity analysis to identify public hospital services that potentially received funding through other Commonwealth programs
- monitoring payments of Commonwealth, State and Territory public hospital funding into the National Health Funding Pool (the Pool)
- making payments from the pool to each state Local Hospital Network (LHN)
- reporting publicly on NHR agreement funding, payments and services
- developing and providing Three Year Data Plans to the Commonwealth, States and Territories