Go to top of page
- Australia Day is a day for all Australians. It is a day on which we reflect on our past, respect each other’s contributions to the present, and celebrate what it means to be Australian.
- Australia Day means different things to different people. It is important that all Australians participate in a way that is right for them and that we all respect our differing views.
- Recent years have seen a shift in attitudes towards Australia Day – and how it is marked and a need for greater acknowledgment and recognition and involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- In 2020, the NADC introduced a new campaign entitled the Story of Australia to encourage thought and broaden the conversation around Australia Day.
- The Story of Australia has been well received and the NADC will continue to evolve it in coming years (please see The Story of Australia and Key Highlights sections).