Go to top of page
Outcome and program structure
The 2018–19 Portfolio Budget Statements set out the National Archives’ outcome and program structure, as follows:
To promote the creation, management and preservation of authentic, reliable and useable Commonwealth records and to facilitate Australians’ access to the archival resources of the Commonwealth.
National Archives of Australia
To achieve its outcome, the National Archives will:
- respond to changes in the information environment, including moving and guiding Commonwealth entities towards comprehensive digital information management
- continually build its capability to take custody of Australian Government information and to preserve and make records available for public access
- work with entities to improve business efficiency across government by enhancing capability to retrieve and re-use information and reduce stockpiles of paper records
- foster effective relationships with entities and strategic stakeholders, including the information and communications technology and cultural sectors
- work closely with other key information and security entities across government to ensure that digital information management is improved through strategies, standards and policies
- promote and provide widespread access to the national archival collection through a national network of research centres, reference services, and education and public programs, taking advantage of the opportunities provided by known and emerging technology.