MIC’s oversight role
MIC represents the interests of the Commonwealth in the long-term precinct partnership with Qube. Its broad remit is to ensure the precinct delivers the expected financial return to the Commonwealth and fully achieves the Commonwealth’s policy objectives for the terminal. Specifically, MIC seeks to ensure:
- value for money is delivered by rigorously overseeing the contractual arrangements; and
- Moorebank Logistics Park has its capacity fully utilised through stringent oversight of its open access protocols and ensure appropriate tenants for the associated warehouse sites.
While Qube is responsible for the procurement and direct contracting of the development works, MIC is responsible for approving and funding an agreed scope of MIC funded works and maintaining operational oversight of the development to ensure the precinct delivers the expected financial return to the Commonwealth and achieves the Commonwealth’s policy objectives for the terminal.
To this end, during the year, MIC:
- oversaw the preparation of new contract lettings to ensure clear scope definition, appropriate owners’ consent and planning approvals were in place to ensure maximum competitive tension in tendering, risks were known and capable of being priced, and also variations minimised;
- managed disputes with Qube to ensure MIC funds were only deployed on appropriate capital works and within appropriate scope; and
- scrutinised all Qube invoicing under the Development and Operation Deed (see below) to ensure value for money.