IP Australia is committed to providing a healthy and safe working environment for all workers (employees, contractors and others) and visitors, and we have continued to prioritise matters related to work health and safety (WHS).
In 2020–21 we continued to implement our WHS Strategy (2019–2021) to increase the WHS maturity of our organisation. Actions included:
- launching the IP Australia Mental Health Framework in October 2020
- WHS training for officers and senior executive staff in July 2020
- delivering inclusive leadership training and targeted bullying and harassment awareness training.
We offered training in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and to enhance the mental health awareness of our workforce, to promote:
- effective mental health conversations
- emotional intelligence
- mental health for leaders
- general mental health awareness through employee assistance program seminars and webinars.
Our support for our people throughout the COVID-19 response included managing WHS requirements as employees transitioned to working from home, and then our staged return to the office. We also enhanced the mental health and ergonomic support for Melbourne-based staff members affected by the prolonged COVID-19 lockdown.
We offered annual flu vaccinations, skin checks and health assessments, and promoted healthy lifestyle actions for our staff through a range of health and wellbeing initiatives.
We also continued to offer free counselling services to all employees and their immediate families through the Employee Assistance Program.
Two incidents during the year were deemed notifiable under section 38 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and were reported to Comcare.