Go to top of page
Management of human resources
IP Australia attracts talent from the corporate and public sectors. Our employees have a passion for creating a world-leading IP system and are focused on driving growth and prosperity in the Australian economy. IP Australia’s public service ethos is strong, and our Executive team, managers and staff members are committed to the APS Values and Code of Conduct.
IP Australia’s Human Resources (HR) management function is critical to the delivery of our People Strategy goals. We continue to focus on developing and leveraging the capability of our people, systems, processes and culture, ensuring that Australians benefit from great ideas.
We focus our People Strategy and HR programs on building organisational capability and capacity in 5 areas:
- strategic leadership – investing in our agency, and our vision and values
- employee engagement – investing in our people
- organisational capability – investing in our future
- collaboration, innovation and inclusivity – investing in our culture
- workforce intelligence – investing in our data and analytics capability.
IP Australia delivered several key activities and outcomes under our People Strategy in 2020–21.
- examined the Employee Census results to identify emerging priorities to ensure our People Strategy deliverables provide appropriate solutions
- delivered Operational Workforce planning for each IP Australia business group, assessing critical job roles, learning priorities, succession risks and workforce risks
- developed succession plans for the organisation’s critical roles
- maintained the focus on safety culture and supporting the workforce to respond to changes and challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- continued to implement IP Australia’s Work Health and Safety Strategy
- developed and launched a mental health framework and commenced development of an action plan
- delivered a program of work to better understand and respond to gender equity challenges, including the launch of an inclusive leadership training program for all senior leaders
- focused on capability uplift across the organisation, including:
- launching a Leadership Exploration and Development (LEAD) program to stretch, support and encourage staff members to explore their leadership development pathway
- delivering a learning and development program against IP Australia’s core capabilities
- delivering performance management refresher training for managers
- targeted delivery of bullying and harassment training
- reviewing and launching a new induction program for new starters, including the contractor workforce
- commenced work on IP Australia’s new ‘Innovate’ Reconciliation Action Plan to drive reconciliation through our business activities, services, programs and stakeholders
- commenced HR policy reviews to support and leverage our goal as a contemporary and adaptable organisation.
IP Australia’s workforce information is provided in Appendix C3 Appendix C3: Workforce statistics .