Go to top of page
Geoscience Australia is committed to a system-based approach to ensuring the health, safety and wellness of workers and visitors. This approach is championed by the CEO and embraced through all levels of the organisation. During 2019–20, we continued to strengthen Geoscience Australia’s work health and safety management system, with an emphasis on early intervention. Our investment in employee health and wellness included:
- influenza vaccinations offered to all workers in March through May 2020, with 55.5 per cent of employees participating
- an Employee Assistance Program, providing employees and their immediate family members with confidential, independent counselling for any personal or work-related matters
- workplace physical health and wellness assessments, providing employees with a self-screening online questionnaire to identify potential health issues, along with a practical examination
- a health self-management portal, including wellness assessments, wellness campaigns and available resources to support mind, body, work and life
- a Minor Injury Support Program (MISP) for employees who have developed short-term medical conditions related to their work and have incurred expenses in seeking treatment. The MISP covers expenses incurred by employees in treating these conditions, to support an early and safe return to positive health
- case management support for managers and employees, for all work health and safety, rehabilitation and injury management matters.
During 2019–20, one incident was deemed notifiable under section 38 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act) and reported to Comcare. No notices were issued under Part 10 of the WHS Act. The impacted worker received case management support and no ongoing assistance was required.