About this report
The Department of the House of Representatives provides services that allow the House to fulfil its role as a representative and legislative body of the Australian Parliament.
This annual report details our activities during the 2017–18 financial year.
The overviews section includes a report by the Clerk of the House of Representatives, David Elder, who is the department’s chief executive and accountable authority. The departmental overview describes the department’s purpose, role and functions, organisational structure, outcome and program structure, and financial performance. It also contains the entity resource statement.
The performance section includes the annual performance statement, which assesses the department’s performance using measures and targets as set out in its corporate plan for 2017–18. The section also includes reports on the main activities supported during the year for each program area.
Management and accountability
The management and accountability section describes the department’s approach to corporate governance, the management of its people and assets, its obligations under various laws, and the management of financial resources.
The financial statements section includes an independent auditor’s report, a statement by the Clerk and Chief Finance Officer, and financial statements showing how the department spent the money allocated to it by the parliament.
The appendixes give detailed information about the department’s work in supporting the House, the parliament, committees and visitors. The appendixes also include a contact directory, and a list of mandatory requirements for annual reports and where they can be found.
List of abbreviations and acronyms, and index
Finally, to aid in navigating and interpreting the report, there is a list of abbreviations and acronyms, and an index.
- Departmental structure at 30 June 2018
- Outcome and program structure, 2017–18
- Financial performance, 2013–14 to 2017–18
- Government and private members’ business and business of the House (Chamber and Federation Chamber), 2014–18
- Number of committee meetings supported by the Committee Office, 2013–14 to 2017–18
- Number of reports tabled by committees, 2013–14 to 2017–18
- Staff survey satisfaction elements, 2014–18
List of tables
- Performance summary, Chamber and Federation Chamber, 2015–16 to 2017–18
- Questions in writing to ministers and answers to questions in writing, 2013–14 to 2017–18
- Number of bills introduced in the House, and number of bills assented to, 2013–14 to 2017–18
- Private members’ bills introduced and amendments moved (Chamber and Federation Chamber), 2013–14 to 2017–18
- Petitions and signatories to petitions, 2013–14 to 2017–18
- Committees supported by the Chamber and Federation Chamber activity, 2017–18
- Committees of the Forty-fifth Parliament supported by the Committee Office
- Students visiting Parliament House, by location and year, 2012–13 to 2017–18
- Classification and gender at 30 June 2017
- Classification and gender at 30 June 2018
- Employment type by full-time and part-time status, 2016–17 and 2017–18
- Employment type by location
- Indigenous employee staffing
- Staff attendance at training courses
- Salary scales of staff covered by the 2017–20 enterprise agreement