Go to top of page
To build a strong and sustainable workforce, the Department has provided staff with the opportunity to develop capability in new areas through various mobility mechanisms.
Internal opportunities: internal opportunities are advertised on the department’s intranet noticeboard and allow internal staff to express their interest in temporary and ongoing vacancies within the Department.
Stream recruitment: stream-based recruitment enables the Department to identify the capabilities specific to each professional stream and design a recruitment process to capture the capabilities and experience that align with the Department’s current and future workforce capability needs. During 2020–21, Finance conducted recruitment processes for business enabling services, commercial, policy, and accounting and financial management professional streams.
Secondment program: Finance’s secondment program is designed to build the Department’s capability and assist business areas to fill specialist roles with staff from within the APS or through private sector arrangements.
Surge readiness management model: Finance’s surge readiness management model supports the rapid mobilisation of staff to high-priority activities when required while building the capability of employees. In 2020–21, the model supported additional work associated with delivery of the Budget and the consolidated financial statements.
In addition to supporting the Department’s priorities, Finance is committed to stewardship and support for Commonwealth entities. During 2020–21, the Department provided staff to:
- the Department of Health, to assist with the COVID-19 Vaccine Taskforce
- Services Australia, to support the Australian Government’s Disaster Recovery Payment for flood relief
- the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, to provide consular and crisis support to Australians overseas
- the Department of Defence and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, to work in their respective taskforces to support the Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide
- the Australian Taxation Office, to assist with delivery of stimulus measures related to the COVID-19 pandemic.