Go to top of page
The internal audit function is a central component of the department’s governance framework. It strengthens accountability and promotes good governance and transparency by providing independent and objective assurance. In this way, internal audit adds value to and improves the department’s operations and its performance.
The internal audit team helps foster a culture of accountability, integrity and high ethical standards by encouraging debate and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to build and share information and knowledge. It communicates and reinforces guidance on the appropriate use of Commonwealth resources, value for money considerations, self-assessment and continuous improvement throughout the department.
In 2018–19, the team:
- delivered an audit program that was responsive to the department’s changing needs and priorities
- reviewed all tabled ANAO performance audit reports and disseminated key findings and relevant information to appropriate officials
- continued its ‘no surprises’ audit approach through open communication with stakeholders
- attended and provided information and advice to departmental governance committees to support their decision-making and build productive working relationships
- facilitated the ANAO’s annual financial statements audit and one ANAO performance audit, as well as providing input on two performance audits of other agencies
- monitored implementation of internal and ANAO audit recommendations and helped business areas implement the recommendations.
The 2018–19 internal audit work program was developed following consultation with the executive and the senior executive service, and approved by the Audit Committee in July 2018. The 16 audits set out in the work program were developed to reflect the department’s priorities, address key aspects of the department’s control framework and support program and process performance.
In 2019–20, the internal audit team will:
- encourage better internal practices with ongoing reviews of processes and functions
- help the department strengthen its accountability and performance, and promote good governance and transparency
- provide advice and guidance on better practice
- support the Audit Committee in fulfilling its roles and responsibilities.