Board of Directors
We have a Board of Directors which collectively acts as the accountable authority of Coal LSL. Our Board consists of representatives of employer and employee stakeholders within the Australian black coal mining industry.
The Board is accountable to the responsible federal minister, who appoints the directors. Directors hold office on a part-time basis and are subject to the provisions of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA).
The role of the Board is to:
- Manage the affairs of Coal LSL, ensuring the proper, efficient and effective performance of Coal LSL’s functions
- Establish and oversee the purpose, objectives, policies and plans of Coal LSL
- Set the scope of the Investment Mandate, strategies and asset allocation
- Authorise the Chief Executive Officer and other employees to act for/on behalf of Coal LSL in performing delegated responsibilities.
The Board comprises:
- One director appointed to represent the companies engaged in black coal mining in NSW or Tasmania
- One director appointed to represent the companies engaged in black coal mining in Queensland
- One director appointed to represent companies engaged in black coal mining in Western Australia
- Two directors appointed to represent the Mining and Energy Division of the Construction Forestry Maritime Mining and Energy Union
- One director appointed to represent the following organisations: a) Communications, Electrical, Electronic, Energy, Information, Postal, Plumbing and Allied Services Union of Australia; b) Automotive, Food, Metals, Engineering, Printing and Kindred Industries Union; c) Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia; d) Colliery Officials Association of New South Wales; e) Mine Managers Association of Australia.
Christina Langby, Chair
Employer representative (NSW Employers)
Director since June 2017 and Chair since January 2020
Christina is the CFO, Director of Finance and Operations and Company Secretary at the NSW Minerals Council, Director and Deputy Chair of Mine Super, Director of Mine Super Services Pty Ltd and Director of Coal LSL. She is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, the Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees, and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand. She holds a Bachelor of Economics from the University of Sydney and has worked in several international banks and financial institutions within the finance and audit divisions before moving into smaller corporate companies on a part-time basis while her children were young. In addition to her accounting and finance background, she has experience in audit, risk, insurance, investments, administration, corporate governance including board and secretariat management, consulting and relationship management.
Grahame Kelly, Deputy Chair
Employee representative (CFMMEU)
Director since June 2018 and Deputy Chair since June 2019
Grahame is General Secretary of CFMMEU – Mining and Energy Division, Director of Coal LSL, Director and Chair of Mine Super, Director of Mine Super Services Pty Ltd, Director of Unity Bank Limited and a member of an advisory committee for MATES in Mining. He has extensive experience in the coal mining industry and working with unions.
Mark Klasen, Director
Employer representative (QLD Employers)
Director since March 2016
Mark is Regional Head of Finance APAC at Glencore Copper and Director and former Deputy Chair of Coal LSL. He has previously served as a director of Port Kembla Coal Terminal Limited, Newcastle Coal Shippers Pty Limited, Port Waratah Coal Services Limited and various Glencore and private equity companies. Mark is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Newcastle and a Graduate Diploma of Computing from Deakin University. He has worked in chartered accounting firms, NSW utilities providers and a number of large-scale multinational mining companies in a variety of senior management positions.
Anne Donnellan, Director
Employee representative (Other unions)
Director since May 2017
Anne is a National Organiser at the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU), Director of U-Cover Pty Ltd, Director of United Super Pty Ltd (CBUS) and Director of Coal LSL. She is an Executive Committee member of IndustriALL Global Union Federation. She has completed the Trustee Director Course Level One of the Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees. Anne holds a Bachelor of Social Work from the South Australian Institute of Technology. She has extensive experience advocating for AMWU members in metal and engineering and associated industry sectors and occupations.
Jennifer Short, Director
Employee representative (CFMMEU)
Director since July 2017
Jennifer is a Legal Officer for CFMMEU – Northern Mining and NSW Energy District and a Director of Coal LSL. She is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, a member of the Law Society of New South Wales, holds a Bachelor of Commerce from Griffith University and a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the Queensland University of Technology. Jennifer has represented Australian workers internationally as the Australian Council of Trade Union youth representative and has in-depth knowledge of the coal mining industry, industrial relations and employment law.
Scott Faragher, Director
Employer representative (WA employers)
Director since February 2020
Scott is an experienced corporate affairs adviser and manager. He has held various roles across the Oil & Gas and Iron Ore sectors, including at Chevron Australia and Australian Premium Iron JV. Prior to this Scott held various senior policy and advisory roles within the Federal Government. He has extensive experience in policy development and advocacy, government relations, reputation management and stakeholder engagement. Scott holds a Bachelor of Arts with Honours from the University of Sydney and is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.