Go to top of page
CASA enhances aviation safety by
- Conducting entry control assessments and regulatory surveillance and oversight, providing regulatory services, and taking appropriate enforcement actions when necessary.
- Developing aviation safety standards and guidance material and implementing regulatory changes.
- Providing safety education seminars, programs and resources for industry and the public.
- Developing effective enforcement strategies to secure compliance with aviation safety standards.
- Regulating Australian-administered airspace, registered and certified aerodromes, aerodrome rescue and firefighting services and civilian air traffic control services, and overseeing designers of instrument approach procedures.
- Issuing licences, certificates, authorisations, approvals and other permissions required by persons undertaking aviation-related activities in Australia.
- Conducting regulatory oversight of operators’ drug and alcohol management plans, conducting drug and alcohol testing, and carrying out certain aviation security assessment functions.
- Encouraging a greater acceptance by the aviation industry of its obligation to maintain high standards of aviation safety.
- Analysing data, providing advice and making the appropriate interventions to maintain and improve Australian aviation safety performance.
- Providing a rapid response service for authorities requiring protected airspace at short notice.
- Providing advice and support to delegates and authorised persons in the aviation industry and administering medical standards applicable to licence holders.
- Providing regulatory and other appropriate training for CASA staff and industry.
- Carrying out oversight of aircraft, maintenance and flying operations through surveillance of passenger-carrying, charter and freight operations and maintenance organisations.
- Conducting oversight of foreign aircraft operations within Australian territory.
- Developing, establishing, and monitoring the instructional standards for the flying training industry and the flying standards and competency of CASA flying operations inspectors.