Go to top of page
Our Severe Weather Warnings
- alert Australians to protect themselves and their property from severe weather such as tropical cyclones, thunderstorms and damaging winds
- warn communities to prepare for and respond to the effects of flooding, including making timely evacuations
- support the emergency services in carrying out effective emergency and disaster preparation, response and recovery.
Our Fire Weather Warnings
- alert the community to weather conditions conducive to the spread of dangerous bushfires
- help State and Territory fire agencies in predicting fire conditions and making decisions about total fire ban days
- allow emergency services to pre-position personnel and equipment to minimise fire damage.
Our Marine and Ocean Services
- support safety at sea and inform search and rescue operations
- support business operations in offshore oil and gas, fishing and aquaculture industries
- help fishers, boaters and water sports enthusiasts to stay safe and plan their trips on the water.
Our Aviation and Defence Forecasts and Warnings
- facilitate safe and efficient aviation sector operations
- inform flight planning and fuel load decisions
- provide alerts on hazardous weather and atmospheric conditions such as volcanic ash
- support Australia’s defence operations in Australia and overseas by delivering specialised forecasting and advisory services.
Our UV and Heatwave Forecasts
- help Australians avoid dangerous UV exposure, to protect against skin cancer
- help protect vulnerable Australians against heat exhaustion and heatstroke
- alert health authorities to periods of heightened demand, to allow for implementation of heatwave management plans.
Our Climate Maps and Information
- help Australians understand the nation’s climate patterns, climate trends and variations, and climate-related risks
- report on rainfall deficiencies and support drought assistance programs
- support insurance claims processes
- support the development of climate-appropriate infrastructure.
Our Water and Environmental Information Services
- underpin water planning, water use and efficiency and water allocations
- guide investment in and maintenance of water infrastructure, and aid decision-making in water supply and irrigation activities
- support the management of ecosystems.
Our Seasonal Climate Outlooks
- help farmers make decisions about crop planting, fertiliser application, stock management, fodder and water restocking strategies
- allow emergency managers to prepare the community ahead of bushfire and tropical cyclone seasons
- help retailers and tourist operators to tailor their activities to seasonal variations.
Our Extreme, Temperature, Sunlight and Wind Forecasts
- allow energy market operators to forecast power demand, particularly during heatwave conditions
- support the renewable energy sector by informing site selection, production potential and energy output estimates from solar, wind and hydropower installations
- support activities in the construction and transport industries.
Our Everyday Weather Forecasts
- help Australians to plan their sporting and outdoor activities
- help individuals and families to organise their daily commute
- help tourism operators and event managers to optimise their activities and events, and to prepare contingencies when required.