The Bureau is entirely focused on providing products and services that benefit the Australian community and drive competitive advantage for businesses and industries. Here are some of the ways the Bureau contributes to a safe, prosperous, secure and healthy Australia.
Our Severe Weather Warnings
- alert Australians to protect themselves and their property from severe weather such as tropical cyclones, thunderstorms and damaging winds;
- warn communities to prepare for and respond to the effects of flooding, including making timely evacuations; and
- support the emergency services in carrying out effective emergency and disaster preparation, response and recovery.
Our Fire Weather Warnings
- alert the community to weather conditions conducive to the spread of dangerous bushfires;
- help State and Territory fire agencies in predicting fire conditions and making decisions about total fire ban days; and
- allow emergency services to pre-position personnel and equipment to minimise fire damage.
Our Marine and Ocean Services
- support safety at sea and inform search and rescue operations;
- support business operations in offshore oil and gas, fishing and aquaculture industries; and
- help fishers, boaters and water sports enthusiasts to stay safe and plan their trips on the water.
Our Aviation and Defence Forecasts and Warnings
- facilitate safe and efficient aviation sector operations;
- inform flight planning and fuel load decisions;
- provide alerts on hazardous weather and atmospheric conditions such as volcanic ash; and
- support Australia’s defence operations in Australia and overseas by delivering specialised forecasting and advisory services.
Our UV and Heatwave Forecasts
- help Australians avoid dangerous UV exposure, to protect against skin cancer;
- help protect vulnerable Australians against heat exhaustion and heatstroke; and
- alert health authorities to periods of heightened demand, to allow for implementation of heatwave management plans.
Our Climate Maps and Information
- help Australians understand the nation’s climate patterns, climate trends and variations, and climate-related risks;
- report on rainfall deficiencies and support drought assistance programs;
- support insurance claims processes; and
- support the development of climate-appropriate infrastructure.
Our Water and Environmental Information Services
- underpin water planning, water use and efficiency and water allocations;
- guide investment in and maintenance of water infrastructure, and aid decision-making in water supply and irrigation activities; and
- support the management of ecosystems.
Our Seasonal Climate Outlooks
- help farmers make decisions about crop planting, fertiliser application, stock management, fodder and water restocking strategies;
- allow emergency managers to prepare the community ahead of bushfire and tropical cyclone seasons; and
- help retailers and tourist operators to tailor their activities to seasonal variations.
Our Extreme, Temperature, Sunlight and Wind Forecasts
- allow energy market operators to forecast power demand, particularly during heatwave conditions;
- support the renewable energy sector by informing site selection, production potential and energy output estimates from solar, wind and hydropower installations; and
- support activities in the construction and transport industries.
Our Everyday Weather Forecasts
- help Australians to plan their sporting and outdoor activities;
- help individuals and families to organise their daily commute; and
- help tourism operators and event managers to optimise their activities and events, and to prepare contingencies when required.