Go to top of page
Ecological sustainable development and environmental performance
In 2020–21, ASD took steps to actively reduce its environmental footprint and introduce sustainable recycling initiatives. ASD continues to work with a range of industry partners to support sustainable reuse that considerably reduces the amount of waste going to landfill.
ASD's shared-services agreement with the Department of Defence includes the provision of a range of sustainable property and estate services. Department of Defence’s environmental policies and strategies applies to these services.
The Defence Environmental Policy outlines five strategic aims:
- Defence will deliver a sustainable estate across Defence maritime, land and aerospace areas, activities and operations.
- Defence will understand and manage its environmental impacts.
- Defence will minimise future pollution risks and manage existing contamination risks.
- Defence will improve the efficiency of its resource consumption and strengthen resource security.
- Defence will recognise and manage the Defence estate heritage values.
Defence’s Environment and Heritage Manual, published in January 2019, provides instruction and policy guidance for all Defence personnel on the Department’s legislative obligations and stewardship goals in line with the Defence Environmental Policy and the Defence Environmental Strategy 2016–2036.