Go to top of page
Our enabling legislation, the Australian Renewable Energy Agency Act 2011 (ARENA Act), sets out ARENA’s objective and function.
The ARENA Act objective is to improve the competitiveness of renewable energy technologies and increase the supply of renewable energy in Australia.
ARENA’s functions are to:
- provide financial assistance for:
- research into renewable energy technologies
- the development, demonstration, commercialisation or deployment of renewable energy technologies
- the storing and sharing of information and knowledge about renewable energy technologies
- collect, analyse, interpret and disseminate information and knowledge on renewable energy technologies
- provide advice to the Portfolio Minister on renewable energy and related technologies including:
- improving the competitiveness of renewable energy technologies
- increasing the supply of renewable energy in Australia
- improving the development of skills in the renewable energy technology sector
- increasing the use of renewable energy technologies
- liaise with State and Territory governments and other authorities to facilitate ARENA renewable energy projects
- any other functions prescribed by regulations or contained in the ARENA Act or other Commonwealth law.