Go to top of page
ARPANSA is the Australian Government’s primary authority on radiation protection and nuclear safety.
We are a:
We build and maintain expertise in the measurement of radiation and assessment of health impacts, including the assessment of risk and response to radiation incidents. We provide high-quality advice to the government and the community. We:
- provide radiation health advice
- deliver the Talk to a Scientist program
- provide advice on emergency preparedness and response in the event of a radiological emergency
- administer and maintain an ultraviolet radiation monitoring network
- maintain nine monitoring stations (four in mainland Australia and a total of five in the Indian Ocean, Pacific and Antarctica) and operate a radionuclide laboratory under the Comprehensive Nuclear‑Test‑Ban Treaty
- administer the Australian primary standard for absorbed dose.
We are the independent regulator of Commonwealth entities that use or produce radiation. Using a risk-informed regulatory approach, we ensure that licensees take responsibility for protection of people and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation. We:
- assess licence applications, issue authorisations and perform inspections
- administer and maintain the Australian Radiation Incident Register
- assess and issue import and export permits
- assess transport plans and provide advice authorisations for transport of radioactive material
- promote national uniformity in radiation protection policies and practices
- work to achieve the security of radioactive material.
We offer high-quality services for the purpose of protection against the harmful effects of radiation. These include:
- ultraviolet radiation services
- radioanalytical services
- calibration of therapy dosimeters
- the Radiofrequency Calibration Service
- the Australian Clinical Dosimetry Service
- the National Diagnostic Reference Level Service
- the Personal Radiation Monitoring Service.
We also administer and maintain the Australian National Radiation Dose Register, and operate the largest radon chamber in Australia.