Freedom of Information Act 1982, section 8
The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) provides the public with a general right of access to documents held by Australian Government agencies, by requiring agencies, such as ANSTO, to publish the information and provide a right of access to the documents.
This general right is limited by exceptions to protect essential public interests, including the privacy of individuals and the business affairs of those who give information to the agency.
In the reporting year to 30 June 2020, ANSTO received six requests for information under section 15 of the FOI Act.
ANSTO is required to publish information to the public as part of the Information Publication Scheme (IPS).
The IPS is designed to promote open and transparent communication of government information.
Set out below is the information required to be published by ANSTO under Part II of the FOI Act.
1. ANSTO’s Agency Plan
ANSTO’s Information Publication Scheme plan is currently available on the ANSTO website at: https://www.ansto.gov.au/access-to-information
2. Details of the structure of the Agency’s organisation
An organisational chart detailing the structure of ANSTO can be found on ANSTO’s website at: https://www.ansto.gov.au/governance.
3. Details of ANSTO’s functions, including its decision making powers and other powers affecting members of the public
Information in relation to ANSTO’s powers and functions can be found at Functions and powers of the Organisation under the ANSTO Act 1987. Information about ANSTO’s purpose and Values, Board Composition, Corporate Plan and Service Charters can be found on ANSTO’s website at: https://www.ansto.gov.au/governance
4. Details of officer appointments at ANSTO
Details of officer appointments can be found at Corporate governance and a link to this information can also be found on ANSTO’s website at: https://www.ansto.gov.au/governance
5. ANSTO’s Annual Report
A link to this annual report and annual reports of previous years can be found on ANSTO’s website at: https://www.ansto.gov.au/corporate-publications
6. Details of arrangements for members of the public to comment on specific policy proposals for which ANSTO is responsible
ANSTO regularly communicates with its stakeholders, which includes the local community and councils, relevant federal ministers and other government-related personnel, both state and federal, to ensure that they are kept up to date about what is happening at ANSTO. The community is kept informed of ANSTO’s operations via the website, which publishes news updates such as media releases.
A link to this information can be found on ANSTO’s website at: https://www.ansto.gov.au/governance
7. Information which ANSTO routinely gives access to in response to requests for access under the FOI Act (excluding documents exempt from production under the FOI Act)
During 2019-2020 there was no requested documentation falling within this category.
8. ANSTO’s FOI Disclosure Log
The FOI Disclosure Log lists information which has been released in response to a FOI access request.
The disclosure log requirement does not apply to:
- personal information about any person if publication of that information would be ‘unreasonable’;
- information about the business, commercial, financial or professional affairs of any person if publication of that information would be ‘unreasonable’;
- other information covered by a determination made by the Australian Information Commissioner if publication of that information would be ‘unreasonable’;
- any information if it is not reasonably practicable to publish the information because of the extent of modification that would need to be made to delete the information listed in the above dot points.
A link to ANSTO’s disclosure log can be found on ANSTO’s website at: https://www.ansto.gov.au/access-to-information
9. Information held by ANSTO which is provided to Parliament
A link to the information which ANSTO provides to parliament can be found on ANSTO’s website at: https://www.ansto.gov.au/access-to-information
10. Contact details of ANSTO officers who can be contacted about access to information or documents under the FOI Act
Direct enquiries in relation to FOI process to the:
Mail: FOI Coordinator, ANSTO, Locked Bag 2001, Kirrawee DC NSW 2232
Email: foi [at] ansto.gov.au
Telephone: +61 2 9717 3111
(request to be directed to the FOI Coordinator)
These contact details can be found on ANSTO’s website.
11. Operational information required under section 8 of the FOI Act, that is, information held by ANSTO to assist in the performance or exercise of ANSTO’s functions or powers in making decisions or recommendations affecting members of the public.
ANSTO has a range of publications, reports and information available for the public, including our annual reports, corporate plan, information on safety, research reports, educational books and leaflets, and DVDs.
ANSTO also provides access to a searchable database of all of ANSTO’s science publications, as well as an online archive for older publications. View the database at https://www.ansto.gov.au/research/publications