Go to top of page
Our functions are set out in section 5 of the AIHW Act. The role of the AIHW is to:
- collect and produce, and coordinate and assist the collection and production of, health- and welfare-related information and statistics
- conduct and promote research into Australians’ health and their health services
- develop specialised standards and classifications for health, health services and welfare services
- publish reports on its work
- make recommendations to the Minister on prevention and treatment of diseases and improvement and promotion of the health awareness of Australians
- provide researchers with access to health- and welfare-related information and statistics, subject to confidentiality provisions.