Go to top of page
The coronavirus pandemic has given AIFS the impetus to ask how we could be even more of a trusted voice for families.
The pandemic has amplified our strengths and weaknesses, and the challenges we face in our operating environment. As well as delivering on our research commitments to our commissioning bodies, the seven major priorities for the year ahead are:
- Finalising our Strategic Plan 2021–2026: Development of the strategic roadmap for 2021–26 is a key priority to ensure AIFS continues to be a national evidence-informed voice on the factors affecting families in a rapidly changing world.
- Considering the best format for the AIFS Conference in June 2021 (rescheduled from June 2020 because of the pandemic)
- Implementing multiple waves of the new Families in Australia Survey: for insights and analysis about how families are coping with and adjusting to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Expanding the innovative Knowledge Translation and Impact Lab: to help policy makers and service providers bridge the gap between knowledge and practice
- Redeveloping our website: to make evidence easier to find and easier to apply in practice
- Improving our online working environment: by rolling out Windows 10 and Microsoft 365, and transitioning our manual, paper-based processes to an online workflow system
- Implementing the Doing My Best Work performance development program for our staff.
To enable us to achieve our priorities, we'll continue to draw on our capabilities to experiment creatively, test new ideas and adapt to face our changing environment. A key change this year will be welcoming a new Director at AIFS, as I am leaving to take up the role of National Children’s Commissioner in November 2020. I have been privileged to be a part of AIFS’ journey for the past five years. I have confidence that the new Director has strong foundations to take AIFS to its next phase to become a strong voice for families. They will be blessed with productive collaborations with our partners and stakeholders, and an incredibly talented and committed team at AIFS to deliver on the priorities in our plan.
Director, Australian Institute of Family Studies
14 September 2020