Go to top of page
An environmentally sustainable workplace
Human rights principles are fundamentally embedded within the principles of ecologically sustainable development. The Commission uses energy saving methods in its operations and it endeavours to make the best use of resources while reducing its environmental impact through appropriate recycling schemes.
In 2018–19 we continued to mitigate the effects of our impact on the environment by:
- implementing an Electronic Document Record Management System (EDRMS), allowing the Commission to transition to digital recordkeeping by the end of 2019
- using Skype for Business facilities to reduce air and road travel
- building on the establishment of our paperless record management system for the Investigation and Conciliation Service
- implementing an enterprise resource management system to facilitate paperless management of corporate operations
- participating in Earth Hour
- switching off all non-essential electronic equipment during the Christmas and New Year shutdown and ensuring all non-essential room air conditioning units are timed to switch off when room is not in use
- utilising facilities, through our lease with Dexus, which support staff to ride and walk to work
- participating in our building’s sustainable waste management system which promotes recycling.