The Electoral Commissioner, Tom Rogers, is appointed under the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 (Electoral Act) and is responsible for managing and operating the AEC.
At 30 June 2019 the AEC’s Executive Leadership Team was:
- Tom Rogers, Electoral Commissioner
- Jeff Pope APM, Deputy Electoral Commissioner
- Andrew Gately, First Assistant Commissioner
- Tim Courtney, First Assistant Commissioner
An organisational chart that includes our senior executive and their responsibilities as of 30 June 2019 is below.
The AEC has a three-tier structure with:
- a national office in Canberra
- state and territory offices
- divisional offices
Senior Executive as at July 20191
Section 6 of the Electoral Act establishes a three-person Commission which has exclusive powers, particularly in relation to electoral redistributions, political party registration, and funding and disclosure.
At 30 June 2019, the members of the Commission were:
- Chairperson: Hon. Dennis Cowdroy AO, QC
- Electoral Commissioner: Tom Rogers
- Non-judicial member: David Kalisch
- Not an exact representation of organisation chart at 30 June, 2019 due to staff movements between 30 June and 1 July. ↩