Go to top of page
The ACCC and AER at a glance
Who we are
The ACCC is an independent Commonwealth statutory authority whose role is to enforce the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) and a range of additional legislation, promoting competition and fair trading, and regulating national infrastructure for the benefit of all Australians.
The AER regulates energy markets and networks under national legislation and rules which aim to promote efficient investment in, and operation and use of, energy services for the long-term interests of energy consumers with respect to price, quality, safety, reliability and security.
The ACCC and the AER work in close coordination to achieve our common purpose: making markets work for consumers, now and in the future.
- Maintaining and promoting competition.
- Protecting the interests and safety of consumers, and supporting fair trading in markets affecting consumers and small business.
- Promoting the economically efficient operation of, use of, and investment in infrastructure; and identifying market failure.
- Undertaking market studies and inquiries to support competition, consumer and regulatory outcomes.
- Promoting efficient investment in, and efficient operation and use of, energy services for the long term interests of consumers with respect to price, quality, safety, reliability and security.
There were 1286 ACCC and AER employees as at 30 June 2020.
Since late March 2020 around 98 per cent of employees have worked from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The ACCC and AER appreciate and uphold the APS Values: Impartial, Committed to Service, Accountable, Respectful and Ethical (ICARE), and hold four additional complementary values as unique and meaningful to our work:
Independent: We pursue the interests of the Australian community, objectively and transparently.
Expert: We make timely decisions based on evidence and rigorous analysis.
Strategic: We make best use of our resources by taking considered and targeted action.
Trustworthy: We communicate honestly and directly and act respectfully.