Information on employment arrangements and statistics
The ABS has a number of industrial instruments in place to cover the employment arrangements for various ABS workforces. The instruments that apply to employees engaged under the Public Service Act 1999 are:
- the Australian Bureau of Statistics Enterprise Agreement 2016 which covers all ABS employees employed under the Public Service Act 1999, except Senior Executive Service employees
- individual Determinations under section 24(1) of the Public Service Act 1999 which cover Senior Executive Service employees.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics Interviewers Enterprise Agreement 2017 is the employment instrument that applies to those engaged under the Australian Bureau of Statistics Act 1975 in accordance with the Census and Statistics Regulation 2016 and covers field-based ABS Interviewers.
Details of the number of employees covered by an Enterprise Agreement, Individual Flexibility Arrangement, or a Determination under s. 24(1) of the Public Service Act 1999 as at 30 June 2018 are as follows:
- ABS employees covered by the Australian Bureau of Statistics Enterprise Agreement 2016: 2665 (all APS & EL staff)
- ABS employees covered by the Australian Bureau of Statistics Interviewers Enterprise Agreement 2017: 546
- Individual Flexibility Arrangements made under the Australian Bureau of Statistics Enterprise Agreement 2016: 11
- SES employees covered by s. 24(1) Determination (all SES who were employed during the 2017–18 financial year): 50.