Go to top of page
Our committees and working groups
Under section 24(1) of the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Act 2013, the chief executive officer may establish committees to assist in the performance of their functions or the functions of ASEC. Four committees operated in 2019–20:
- Research and Evaluation Committee (REC)—first established in 2015 to provide expert advice to the agency on technical research projects, strategies and methodologies to achieve the aim of the NSP
- Management and Removal Committee (MRC)—first established in 2014 to provide advice to the agency on issues relating to the management of asbestos in the building, construction and demolition sectors and implementation of the NSP
- Water Pipes Working Group (WPWG)—first established in 2018 to provide a forum to discuss and develop an agreed approach on the management of water pipes containing asbestos and best practice guidelines for safe removal, transport and disposal of water pipes containing asbestos
- Asbestos Awareness Committee (AAC)—first established in 2020 to guide the development of behaviour change programs.
ASEA provided secretariat support in 2019–20 for:
- Heads of Workplace Safety Authorities (HWSA) Imported Materials with Asbestos Working Group—established to deal with incidences of asbestos-containing materials being imported into Australia in contravention of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956. The working group meets on an ad hoc basis to determine a course of action when asbestos-containing materials have been imported into Australia and detected in more than one jurisdiction, as outlined in the rapid response protocol.
- Asbestos Support Group Network (ASGN)—a coalition of all community-based asbestos-related disease support groups across Australia who are mainly funded by charitable donations, grant funding and fundraising events. These groups provide assistance and support to members of the community who have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease and their families and friends.