The Army and Air Force Canteen Service was established by Regulations under the Defence Act 1903. The latest version of the regulations is The Army and Air Force (Canteen) Regulation 2016.
The purpose of the canteen service is to supply goods, facilities and services to, or for the entertainment and recreation of:
- members of the Army or Air Force
- persons employed in, or in connection with, Army or Air Force installations
- dependants of those members or persons
- visitors to Army or Air Force installations
- members of the ADF Cadets.
The Board shall conduct the canteen service in accordance with the following policy guidelines:
- to enhance the living conditions and social environment of the intended recipients
- the operations shall be conducted on a commercial and self–supporting basis with the aim of achieving savings sufficient to allow surplus funds to be distributed for the benefit of members of the Army or Air Force
- Ministerial directives as advised from time to time.